Tuesday 1 May 2012

Major Project Part 6- People.

With any community the people that live in it make up a large part of what makes the place like it is and Yoxall is know different in that respect. I've said before how it has an aging population dew to the fact that it's beyond the realm's of anyone on what I'd call a normal wage to be able to afford buy or rent here. If you brought here during my parents generation you tended to stay thus the aging population, while the majority of people I grew up with have slowly moved away for one reason or another. This is now pretty much the norm in any small rural community so what you see today here is alot of people moving into the area from the Tamworth-Birmingham areas looking for a change of life, the majority of these people are welcomed with open arms and fit into the area easily but you do now and again get the type that come in and want to change things that have been running smoothly for years, this obviously can cause tensions because they fail to consider how there actions effect other people. Anyway I'm getting a little off point here again, in this section I wanted to capture some of the activities that take place and the people who live here to help you understand even more what kind of place Yoxall is.

   Tech. Details
F-stops- f/10
Expo- 250sec
ISO- 640
Expo Bias- 0 steps
Focal Length- 38mm

For my first shot in this section I used a common event throughout the country, Remembrance Sunday to illustrate how the village history is still remembered and is as important today as it ever was that we remember our past. As I was standing in the crowd it parted for a few seconds and I saw this couple holding hands and it made a real impression on me and in away is symbolic of how the village comes together at this time.


Tech. Details
F-stops- f/11
Expo- 400sec
ISO- 640
Expo Bias- 0 steps
Focal Length- 21mm


This was taken at the same event but what I like about this shot was the way everyone is focused on the monument except the little on the right in her parent arms who's looking in completely the opposite direction at something else. What it also gives you is more idea of the scale to which the community comes together at this time. Its not the best shot in this section but I feel it adds to the overall picture. 





Tech. Details
F-stops- f/13
Expo- 1000sec
ISO- 500
Expo Bias- 0 steps
Focal Length- 75mm


What I wanted to show next was the more lighter side to life, after looking at how the village remembers its war dead its an change of direction to then look at another local event in the shape of a charity Bungee jump that took place over the Easter weekend. In the shot above I've tried to capture the exact moment of realization as the person takes the leap. In away I was a little disappointing because the light conditions meant I could capture the facial expressions as he jumped because this would have really added to the feel of the shot. You can see a little evidence of this but not the amount I'd have liked. I'd like to think this gives some idea of the fun loving nature that also existent in the area.     




Tech. Details
F-stops- f/4.5
Expo- 500sec
ISO- 160
Expo Bias- 0 steps
Focal Length- 15mm


Taken back in the late summer this shows a couple of the local farmers hard at work. As I've said many times during this project farming still makes up part of a way of life in the area (if not a much as it once would have) so I felt it important to include some reference to this fact because it wouldn't be a true study of the people in this area without. I've tried to get up close to the scene while at the same time leaving a little space so as to see the wider picture of what there doing.




Tech. Details
F-stops- f/10
Expo- 160sec
ISO- 400
Expo Bias- 0 steps
Focal Length- 51mm


Taken along the river bank during the summer what I like to think this reflect the laid back easy going attitude that can be found a lot of the time here. One thing you discover soon when living here is that nothing really happens in a hurry. I think this possibly reflects the fact that Yoxall has an aging population which doesn't feel the need to be in the rat race anymore. I like this shot because the tree frames the couple nicely while not over powering the whole thing too much plus the angle of the river bank helps to stop the view feeling to flat. To me its a very easy calming view although it'd possibly work better in colour because the colours would give it a warmer summery feel that's lost in black and white.


As with all the sections I've produced this is by no means the final selection of photos, I'll continue to try and improve and build on what I have here but I am aware that this is possibly the weakest collection I've produced so far. To me personally it shows some signs of what life is like here but I'm not completely happy that to anyone outside it gives a clear enough picture so in that respect I've still got something to work towards with this section.


No comments:

Post a Comment