Sunday 25 March 2012

Traer Scott.

Saw an article on Traer Scott's work in last months issue of National Geographic and was instantly interested to find out more about her work and the aim of the images I'd see printed. Below you will see a few example of what I captured my attention.

01-Panda-NH 

05-Moose-NH 

11-Rhino-NH 

In this collection focusing on taxidermied animals in glass case see looked to capture the public reaction to certain animals, for example in the top image of Panda's see comments that she found it an interesting insight that people tended to rush past the more endanger species hardly stopping. Is this because they somehow feel guilty for taking pleasure in viewing such a beautiful create in this state? In the final shot I find it quiet apt that a group of Far Eastern children look on in wonder at a animal that there cultures alternative medical practices is driving to the very brink of extinction because of there need for rhino horn. As a group of photo's its a very different and unique approach to capture peoples reactions and emotions by simply using the reflective nature of the cases to capture both the subject and the reaction.

I really like this collection but on her website http://www.traerscott.com/ there's a lot more depth and variety to be found, my favorite's being her Street Dogs and Wild Horses work because she's caught in both there nature and wildness but at the same time capture there personalities and made each photo feels so full of life.
What I'll take away from studying her work is something I saw she wrote about her work with people in which she said she doesn't like to interact with them because she doesn't want to compromise the candid nature of the photo. This I think is referring to the above photo's because she wants there reactions to be as natural as possible. Can I use this candid approach in my own Major Project I don't really know but it's an idea I could bring into it.



No comments:

Post a Comment