Wednesday 8 February 2012

Fay Godwin.

Looking through Fay Godwin's work today for a bit of inspiration regarding my Major Project, she's one of them photographers that I find I can always turn to if I find myself a little stuck creatively. I think we all have peoples work that naturally makes us feel more comfortable with what we're doing or helps us to be more creative and move in a different direction and she just happens to be mine. When I first started flicking through her work I didn't think that I'd find alot that related back to what I'm doing with my major project but actually on a second look I might have been a bit quick to judge. For example look at these photos below.

Fine Art Print of Co Wicklow by Fay Godwin







These photos are just a small selection of the work I think that can help me with my own project because in each case they capture a part of life be it in a surreal manner or a more documentary approach but they all help in my mind to produce a picture of life during the late 70's early 80's (which is when she took them). Like all good black and white work there's a good tonal range and high levels of detail. She was describe as being Britain's answer to Ansel Adams her work was that well thought of, she did use her work in a similar way to him as well fighting for the right to open the countryside to the ramblers. Anyway I'm getting a bit off track here, how is her work helping me? Easy it's making me really look closely at my subject maybe more at the little things that make up the place instead of the grander landscape and how it sits in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment